Monday, June 23, 2014

"Driver Power State Failure" for Network Techies & Multiple Drives

Ever heard of the "blue Screen of Death?"  On Windows 8?  This is different from the screens Ive seen with past versions.


(The new Windows 8 "Blue Screen of Death")

Ever since we upgraded our desktop from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1, we've been receiving this "Driver Power State Failure" error--even though our system was unable to upgrade at the end (tried three times already).  This became problematic when the system would not come out of sleep mode or it would just restart itself without warning into a frozen Windows start-up screen.  At this point, I would have to manually restart it.  Otherwise, it will lock itself up.  Or it would come out of sleep and freeze at whatever screen it was at before sleeping.  Sometimes, it would restart (or start) with a series of clicking noises before freezing on the Windows screen.  I Googled this up and tried everything that they recommended--from updating the driver files to deleting them.  I even did a complete system restore (in addition to the numerous system recoveries) to no avail.


(The frozen restart screen--nte the Windows window by itself)

At the same time, I also had problems with my Bluetooth connections.  After paring a BT device, the computer refuses to see or acknowledge that it is connected--even though the device properties says that it is connected to the device.  However according to the PC Settings, the device is registered as being offline.  Yes, basically, there are mixed messages.  I even tried adding a BT dongle to no avail.

Eventually, I called Microsoft about the BT issue (since it was still under the 1 year warranty).  This was an ordeal in itself--entering in my Model # and SN# to validate if I am still under warranty before giving me the customer service number and everything else that comes with customer service from India--no offense.  After some quick troubleshooting, they said that the problem was my device and not the computer.  If I want technical support for the device, I would have to pay.  I was sure it wasn't the device because my laptop, tablet and cellphone registers the BT devices are working now every time I try to connect.

I also tried calling them about the driver power error but their system said that I am no longer under the warranty since I had the system since...2012?  I just bought it this past year because my old one had a power failure.  So they wouldn't even show me the number for customer service this time (should have kept it somewhere the first time).

After being frustrated about these two issues, I packed the system for a replacement at Best Buy.  But unable to go that day, I had some time to think about the issues here (otherwise, it would be a 45 minute trek--with the family).  The night before I was scheduled to go, I finally figured out what it was.  Believe it or not, it was one of the drives (from an older computer) that I had attached to my unit.  And the clicking noises at startup was from one of those faulty drives.  After detaching those drives, I no longer had the error or problems.  The computer (Windows Explorer) wasn't even registering them anyway.  But I did leave an old drive that was working properly.  Plus, the Bluetooth devices are now connecting (almost) every time!


(The normal Windows start screen--note the Windows window with the twirling light (hour glass?))

Hope this helps you.

Unfortunately, my device will not be able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 (getting some kind of error) so I'll have to see what happens from here.  But at least my desktop won't be restarting without notice or freezing from sleep and the BT devices works!

No comments: